Monday, March 17, 2008

Bag, tag and release...

Greetings all,

I come to you with a fresh coat of pink on my scales and a new addition of purple fringe scales. Have had a lovely time recently, except for the work internet being down for three days *grrr*. It made me realise how much I've come rely on it. So, after a brief delay, I give you...

Running the wheel, first session - del.icio.us
I hadn't come across Del.icio.us before today. As requested, http://del.icio.us/fishmouse is my official account. As it's said in Spiderman, 'with great power comes great responsibility,' and this piece of software may be responsible for me finally considating the combined efforts of many sessions tooling around on the interwebs. Instead of web-swinging my way through an urban jungle of bookmarks and favourites I can tag them for speedy browsing.

As a research tool this has great power to, once the offical hunt it over, quickly allow you to not only see what you've allready saved but quickly see what their about and go to them. I see great potential for Information and research queries, Community Information, Local History Information, Author information. From what I've seen of Sutherland Shire Libraries tag cloud and Cleveland Public Library’s tags they've thought along similar lines. For me, time and patience will be large factors in the quality of my tagging. I might have to give it a trial run the next time I prepare for a Story time.

Running the wheel, second session - Technorati

Hmmm... interesting. Technorati - another site I was unaware of. Seems like there is more out there than I knew about, which is brilliant. I love learning new things, and all this will come in handy once I finally get a functioning laptop for the home fishbowl. I can't rely on the work fishtank forever. Searched for 'Bookmobile'. Options to choose from: posts, blogs, photos and videos. The general search brought up all kinds of choices from reviews, interviews, festivals and some pretty colourfull Bookmobile vehicles.

The advanced search let me get very specific about the bookmobile I was interested in, as expected. I can see this being handy if you have a bit of spare time up your sleeve and are looking for a topic specific blog in particular but as with all databases, you have to be carefull with your search terms. NSWPLN2008 search results - a great big fat nothing. I'll let you know if I get anything later.

Swimming around - LibraryThing
Oh, a booklovers site created by booklovers allowing one to create a personal catalogue of their favourites. http://www.librarything.com/catalog/fishmouse is where you'll find my collection. I do like the look of this site and if I ever find the time, shall take the time to build up a colelction of books and reviews. I like that I can also see ratings and reviews and know they aren't linked with any publishing house or bookseller pushing for a sale. Honesty. Refreshing. Now to be find a site allowing me to read them online and I'd be in heaven. Can't see it happening anytime soon, mores the pity.

Well, this little worker bee had better get back to collecting honey, a difficult task underwater at the best of times. For those curious folk out there to shy to ask, the answer to last times question is 'Rickrolling'. A social networking phenonom where you post or email Rick Astleys 'Never gonna give you up' under a heading along the lines of some celebrity scandal or other interesing tidbit. (clue: highlight the blank space to see the answer) To those who knew and didn't say anything - shame. I'll have to drink the coffee for you. To everyone else, I will see you later.
Enjoy the week,

~mishka

2 comments:

pls@slnsw said...

Unfortunately I remember when this video clip came out and I note that it seemed as bad then as it does now. I liked the way you hid the clue...how did you do that?

Leanne

Mishka said...

Hi Leanne,

Unfortunatly, this is a prime example of a clip that hasn't improved with age. I'm always stuck between cringing, laughing and shamlessly singing along.

Thankyou. To hide the clue, I highlighted the text then changed the text colour to white.