Sunday, March 2, 2008

Feed me, Seymour!

Greetings all,

It's Monday morning and I'm back in the Salt Mines. A pity since my feet seem to ache and I've the week to go, but we all know who's fault that is. While I'm ducking my head in shame and dreaming of foot massages I'll let you scroll down through my latest 2.0 learning adventure.

Running the wheel - RSS
Today's task involved discovering about RSS and newsreaders, previously unused by myself who instead was relying on updating my LJ friendlists for post updates. RSS feeds are far easier to use and monitor. Google blog search was incredibly useful for keyword searching for existing RSS feeds and blogs of interest. My newly minted Bloglines account has a lovely list displaying all my subscriptions, allowing me to click and view at my own, or rostered, leisure.

Swimming around
The hardest part, as always, lies in choosing what subscriptions wisely. In a clear display of age, I quickly hooked myself up to ABC News : Just In, Alternative Teen Services, Dinosaur Comics, Mugglenet, Neil Gaimen's journal and the Powerhouse Museum photo of the day site. It's only a start, but I've tried to cover a range of personal and professional interests. Unfortunately, using the Google blog search for an all round music/gig review site has proven disappointing so far. Perhaps I am being too fussy.

I don't need to use my crystal ball to see the potential this handy little device has for my job. With a RSS feed I can have pertinent youth and children's information pulled straight to my eager and waiting eyes and disseminating fingers. I can then utilise the information to manage the collection and plan topical programs. Further thinking, the work website could even have RSS feeds linked directly to it, for example, book reviews. This ability to link relevant material is essential for any information providers, including little Fishmice like myself. Now I'll have to journey off and investigate the existing blogs of my fellow compatriots.


I'd better be getting back to work before I hear the whip cracking. My reccomended for the day:http://www.qwantz.com/ Dinosaur Comics.

Enjoy!

~mishka



4 comments:

pls@slnsw said...

Dear Mishka

Sounds like you had a good Mardi Gras. And I'm very glad that RSS feeds look like they'll work for you.
They can certainly be used to sort information into usable chunks.

Keep dancing.

Victoria

Mishka said...

Thankyou. I'm still impressed that I danced down Oxford st after 5 hours on my feet, only to continue afterward and had an excellent time. I'm hoping that you also had a good weekend wether you were at Mardi Gras or not.

Shall do, right after I read the latest Dinosaur Comic. I can't wait for the Youtube week - I allready have a clip in mind.

miztres said...

Thanks for your entry on RSS. I'm not sure if I like using Bloglines, it seemed very clunky (ugly to look). You had a positive response to it so I was wondering are you considering using it on a regular basis?

Mishka said...

I do agree that it isn't the prettiest site but in my work environment, I'm finding it actually works.

I like the fact that I can quickly check for updates without having to re-fresh friend lists or websites before trawling through back entries for what I have missed. It lets me be lazy and lets face it, why go to each site and search for updates when I can go to one site and quickly check there?

Yes, I am considering continuing to use it, defenitly while at work. IF you happen to see a more aesthetically pleaseing site, equally functional site, feel free to hook a sister up and let me know.